Prep Time: 1 hour Cooking Time: 30 minutes
For the Filling
- 1 cup Cane Jaggery Powder
- 1 cup chana dal
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 3/4 tsp 1 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
For the Dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- Ghee for roasting
1. Rinse the chana dal.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the rinsed chana dal and 3 cups of water. Cook for 8 whistles.
3. Once the pressure settles down, strain the cooked chana dal.
4. In a preheated pan, add the ghee, ginger powder, fennel powder, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Toss it for a few seconds on low heat.
5. Add the chana dal and cane jaggery powder. Stir the mixture and let it cook till it becomes dry and thick.
6. Let it cool and mash the mixture.
7. To make the dough, mix the whole wheat flour and salt. Gradually add water and mix till you get a ball of dough. Add ghee and knead the dough again.
8. Once the dough is smooth, cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 25 minutes.
9. Divide the dough into 8 portions. Roll one portion with a rolling pin till you get a 3 inch circle.
10. Place a tablespoon of the filling in the centre. Bring the edges to the centre and pinch them together.
11. Sprinkle a little flour and roll the dough to get a medium-sized circle.
12. Spread ghee on a preheated girdle and place the rolled poli on it.
13. Cook both sides until you see brown spots.
14. Prepare the rest in the same way. Serve warm with milk or ghee.