Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ghee
- Chopped dry nuts (almonds & cashew nuts)
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 5–6 tsp Coconut Jaggery Powder
- Cardamom powder
- Oil for frying
1. Take wheat flour, salt and add a little water at a time to knead medium consistency dough.
2. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. For making the stuffing, heat a pan over medium heat and fry the dry nuts in ghee for about a minute.
3. Add fresh coconut and fry on low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the coconut jaggery powder and mix well.
5. Fry everything together for about 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Turn the gas off and add cardamom powder.
7. Mix well and the stuffing is ready. Let it cool down completely.
8. Take the dough and knead it once to make it smooth and even.
9. Take out a small portion of the dough, roll it into a puri and cut a perfect round with the help of a katori.
10. Take the puri in your hand and make petals like we make for ukadiche modak.
11. Fill the stuffing in it and press it a little.
12. Bring the petals together and close the modak up.
13. Heat oil over high heat in a pan and turn the heat to low to medium once the oil is hot.
14. Drop the modaks in oil and fry well on low to medium heat from all sides.
15. When the modaks turns a nice golden colour from all sides, take them out, drain the excess oil and transfer into a dish.
Talaniche modak are all ready.
You can make 11 modaks from the proportion we used.
Recipe contributed by MadhurasRecipe Marathi (Youtube)