Prep Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 L full fat milk
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup Palm Jaggery Powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Bring the milk to a boil in a thick-bottomed pan and reduce the flame.
- Stir continuously and add 1 teaspoon of vinegar at a time.
- When you see the milk curdle, turn the stove off. Once it is warm, strain it through a muslin cloth and rinse it under running water.
- Gently squeeze to drain the excess water. Make sure it isn’t too dry. Place this chhena under a heavy object for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use your hands to combine the chhena and cornstarch in a bowl until a smooth dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 6 round equal portions. Ensure that they are free of cracks.
- In a pot, add water, palm jaggery powder and cardamom powder. Boil and stir the ingredients until the jaggery dissolves.
- Once you get a syrup that has a runny consistency, add the chhena balls one at a time. Cover the vessel and let the balls cook on high flame for 8 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn the balls onto the other side. Close again and let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook for 15 more minutes. Flip the balls in between once or twice to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Turn the stove off and transfer the rasgullas with the syrup to a bowl. Let it rest for 5 hours.