WHAT IS MILK POWDER?
Powdered milk, also known as dry milk, is made by being pasteurised and then removing any water content from it via evaporation and turning it into a powder. Milk powder is an excellent substitute for fresh milk owing to its long shelf life, ease of use, and multiple applications in making food and beverages, including bakery, confectionery, meat, main dishes, nutritional products, and more. Milk powder provides the same amount of nutrition as fluid milk and is an excellent source of essential nutrients.
TYPES OF MILK POWDER
There are two main classifications of milk powder, depending on the varying levels of fat, protein, and water content.
Whole milk powder: Whole milk powder is obtained by dehydrating homogenized milk through evaporation and spray drying process. It is composed of more than 26% of fat content and less than 5% water content.
Skimmed milk powder / Non-fat dry milk powder: Skimmed milk powder is obtained by pasteurising whole milk and removing the cream from it to obtain skimmed milk; then, the milk undergoes a drying process which converts it into skimmed milk powder. It is composed of 1.5% fat content and less than 5% water content.
7 USES OF POWDERED MILK
Powdered milk has a plethora of culinary applications. It is considered to be a vital ingredient in the culinary world due to its travel-friendly nature, easy usage, nutrient density and long-lasting shelf life.
There are many ways to use powdered milk:
- You can easily substitute regular milk for powdered milk while making tea or coffee.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of non-fat dry milk powder per serving for thicker and more nutritious smoothies and shakes.
- Powdered milk can be used in all bakery and confectionery items like cakes, cookies, cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, yeast bread and more.
- You can boost nutrients in everyday foods like gravies, sauces, soups, mashed potatoes, puddings and custard by adding milk powder to each cup of water or broth.
- You can make whipped toppings for your pastries and pies by mixing milk powder with ice-cold water and whipping it until the desired thickness is achieved.
- You can make curd, ricotta, and cottage cheese from powdered milk.
- Milk powder is also great for your skin since it contains lactic acid; it purifies, moisturizes, and soothes irritated skin. Mix milk powder and water to make a simple purifying face pack. Using milk powder as a skin treatment can help you achieve healthy, smooth and glowing skin.
BENEFITS OF POWDERED MILK
- Milk powder is a great source of bone-building nutrients like calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and B12. Consuming an appropriate amount of milk powder can easily fulfil the daily amount of calcium requirements which helps in decreasing the risk of fractures and other bone-related diseases.
- You can add powdered milk to everyday meals to increase the amount of protein and energy levels. This is highly suitable for people who need extra protein due to certain health conditions. Also, the high-quality protein found in milk powder promotes muscle building and weight management when combined with exercise.
- Milk powder contains potassium, and regulated intake of potassium can lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Therefore, powdered milk helps to maintain a healthy heart.
- Milk powder contains essential nutrients and amino acids that promote cellular repair, help in the body’s growth and development, and regulate the immune system.
Is powdered milk the same as regular milk?
No, powdered milk is a dehydrated form of milk. But it provides the same amount of nutrition as regular milk.
Is the milk powder lactose-free?
How many calories are there in coconut milk powder and vegan milk powder?
Coconut milk powder and vegan milk powder contain 654.50Kcal energy, 32.82g carbohydrates, 7.82g protein, 54.66g fat and 3.45g sugar.
Does the milk powder contain protein?
Yes, milk powder is an excellent source of protein.
Is milk powder sugar-free?
No, milk powder contains natural sugar in it. But it does not contain any added sugar.
What does coconut milk powder taste like?
Milk powder has a pleasantly sweet taste and smell. The coconut milk powder tastes and smells like real coconuts.
Is it good to drink milk powder every day?
Yes, milk powder has the same nutritional value as regular milk. But it is important to consume it in moderation to ensure a healthy and balanced diet.
Where to buy milk powder?
You can buy milk powder online at Rural Treasures. Our milk powders are entirely natural, unadulterated, preservative-free, vegan and keto-friendly, with no added sugar.